Friday 18 February 2011

Sunflowers, fairies and trees!


One of the largest bodies of work I completed was inspired by a very special large tree outside my bedroom window, my belief in fairies and my love of sunflowers. Six months of continuous work, lots of painting, stitching, manipulating and of course the written word made 46 pieces of textile/ mixed media work. Telling a story of a sunflower who was surrounded by friends, but sat on the edge, unable to share, until one day her secrets hopes and dreams came true.


I planted a Eucalyptus when it was only a 'twig', brought from from the local garden centre, over 16 years ago, not knowing how quickly it would grow, and how messy it would be, beware if you are going to plant one.....keep them pruned! Even though I moan constantly about having to tidy up around it i don't have the heart to get a tree surgeon to deal with it. This tree sheds its bark like camels shed their hair.....and leaves drop off all year round..............


When my children were small and inspired by Enid Blytons "Magic Faraway Tree" series of books, they would clamber into bed in the mornings with me and I would tell them my own version of wonderful characters who lived in the 'Oh so special tree'. I loved to watch their faces as the creatures and people I had invented danced in their heads, their eyes wide open and hanging on to every word....always asking for more stories I sometimes had trouble keeping up with them. A memorable, magical time....So now you know why I cannot chop my 45ft happy messy tree down.
One August morning I woke just as the sun was rising, and as usual looked at my tree. That morning  as the leaves moved gently in the summer breeze the light from sun coming up over the field shone onto the dew drops....the combination of early sunlight and water gave the illusion of fairy lights dancing on my tree. This only lasted for a few mins, and in my excitement I had to wake up my husband and share this delightful moment....it was 5.30 in the morning on a Saturday, and as you can imagine he was not best pleased when he was woken up to me babbling away about fairies in my tree!


By now I was wide awake and inspired, so I slid into my jeans and quietly went to my studio, leaving my family to sleep a while and started painting up a range of papers, dyeing fabrics, sorting threads, yarns and various mixed media in my chosen colour-way. Once I had all my 'ingredients' I could start some serious work. 


As I worked on the first piece I noticed one of the flowers was standing alone and that's when I started to write the story of Sunflowers fairies and trees. My eyes kept being drawn to her, and yes you may say I could of sewn another few flowers around her...but the lonely sunflowers story had started. Some of my words are easily seen and others are hidden...oh and if you look carefully I have used dried petals from my sunflowers.Also the dark middles are made with paper, I asked all my friends to write their secrets, hopes and dreams, and when they screwed them up I firmly stitched the paper in, not even I know the words they contain. 
This is the finished piece, and if you look to the bottom right you will see the flower I have been chatting about. My story is all about this sunflower, who listens to all the other flowers laughing and talking but as she stands alone is unable to join in....Eventually the fairies come down from the tall tree, comfort her and tell her to reach for the sky and follow her secrets, hopes and dreams.


All summer long she keeps turning her head to the sun, remembering what the fairies had said. The season turns to Autumn and she looses her petals, leaves and finally her seeds. Snow finally covers the landscape, keeping the seeds warm and safe below in the ground.
Spring is just around the corner, first the snowdrops poke their heads up, followed by crocuses and happy daffodils. The days get longer and warmer and little sunflower plants spring through the soil. They grow taller and taller their smiling faces taking in the warmth of the sun. Finally the lonely sunflower is surrounded by her friends as seeds had scattered to her part of the field. The fairies visit once again to see her happy and bright. 


Each piece tells its own part of the story. Apart from 2 pieces I have kept all the work and now I realise looking back this is my own story of how I felt at that time. We all need to remind ourselves that we can go hug a tree look to the stars and reach for our dreams :-)


You know if you look at a sunflower they have dark middles....we are all a sunflowers really, with lovely bright happy exterior, but a dark middle....we all keep something in our hearts that we never share.....


Chat soon.....A happy and bright day to you :-) Oh and there is a full moon tonight! M x





                                                    A few more pictures from this collection









1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing your sunflower story with us, sue

    ReplyDelete