Friday 25 February 2011

Bird in a Cage



Creativity is sneaking back on me, and once again my inspiration comes from the heart and soul......I so often find myself looking to the sky and seeking dreams, but the little bird in the cage cannot seem to get out. Perhaps this project will set me free and I can live the life I so often aspire to....the one that lives deep in my heart.

Last weekend I took a trip to Brighton....I love the cosmopolitan hustle and bustle atmosphere, and of course its arty and trendy which is right up my street. I so needed my fix of people and seaside. I am always drawn to the water, probably as I am a Pisces!  Oh and I love people watching :-)

Well after a walk along the pier...a lunch of fish and chips...and of course the obligatory ice cream, you have to have one at the seaside and eat it at the end of the pier! I explored all Lanes....lots of little independent shops selling lots of unusual bits and bobs. I like to buy clothes and accessories that are 'out of the box', and here there were certainly lots of shops to browse in and choose find that quirky piece.....I have brought a mad strawberry shaped beaded bag! Its been put away until my birthday....so you will have to wait to see a picture! 

I treated myself to a new camera a few weeks ago, and used my day out to experiment with it....after taking many shots of my feet, the pavement and blurry zoom shots I was rewarded with a couple of reasonable pictures. Walking along the prom as dusk was approaching I was lucky enough to see a phenomena that few people see...a swarm of starlings. Seeing these birds twist and turn in their thousands across the sky over Brighton Pier was truly spectacular and a privilege indeed. A group of starlings that swarm in this way are called a murmuration and not only was I lucky to see them I also managed to snap them in the throws of their formations.
                        

They swarmed until the sun vanished, and all settled down to roost. Suddenly I noticed how quiet it was, the noise of the birds had ceased, people had left the beach, and even the waves became calmer and less noisy. The sunset was spectacular and as the sky changed colour I captured lots of images ...ideas and inspiration for another day.


Watching the birds made me want to taste that sense of freedom. So I sat and sketched in the 
half light, adding my thoughts and emotions.  
I wanted to join in the spectacle....be as one with the group of starlings, but still have the freedom to fly.....I wrote fast and furious for a while, my thoughts spilling haphazardly over the page.....finally finished I felt my inner karma felt restored...

A while ago I shared these feelings with someone very close to me....and she said a piece of music reminded her of how I felt inside....White Bird - Beautiful Day....Previous post will link you to this song.





Only I  can change the future...set the little
bird free, to fly and reach for her dreams

I made a start on that beach.....I took the page out of my book.....and yes you may of guessed, folded a paper boat and set it on the gentle waves to sail on its journey of discovery.

So it may be a long journey for me....but one day, someday, and I am not sure how long this will be, my destination, my inner freedom will be discovered...I will see all the colours more clearly without the confines off the bars of the cage. Oh how nice it would to be to fly.


I stood and watched my little boat take its first steps....floating into the distance, becoming bolder and more trusting of the waves....then embracing the experience and looking forward to what lies ahead......Good luck little boat x  Enjoy the journey  the waves take you on.

                                                                                                   

                                                                                                            

1 comment:

  1. How I love a coincidence! Today Tod (hubby) and I have been thinking of as many songs with references to birds in them as we can - he enjoys making compilations following a theme - however White Bird had passed us by, although we both remember it well now!
    Hope you are feeling a little less 'caged' and able to spread your wings.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete