Friday 25 March 2011

Mad, bad and dangerous to know







This is another of my favourite tea houses, 'The Doll's House on the Hill' ,a traditional tea shop selling an assortment of refreshments and home made food. They also do the most wonderful high tea, if you are ever in Harrow on the Hill I thoroughly recommend a visit.


So now the Mad, bad and dangerous to know....this refers to Lord Byron, the English poet who led a colourful and very controversial lifestyle and made enemies very fast. His poetry was considered  perverted and satanic. The fact that he was often discontent and unhappy, combined with a constant desire for change meant that he created an unstable world for himself, though he never gave up his individual freedom to choose his own path and his own destiny. It was Lady Caroline Lamb who had an affair with Byron and penned the Mad Bad quote.  Byron went to Harrow school and wrote some of his early  work there. I wont prattle on about his life as there are 1000's of sites you can visit and read about him.


You know its always good to follow your heart as he did, but so many of us are unable to for fear of people pointing a finger at them. I know in so many ways that I am different from others. My family tease me about seeing the world on a level that is unique to me...I see things that many may miss, and include them in my creations using story telling within my mixed media art. But like Byron through no fault of my own I find some have been nasty, I can deal with it better now I am older but it did used to upset me, and at times made me feel worthless.What these people don't know is I have captured them in my work, I don't have to to be nasty back, they are forever behind my multi layered creations.....lovely moments and special friends are also beyond the layers, and on balance there are many more of those. Forgive me I am an Artist!!!  


I think the people who point the finger are not comfortable in their lives, and would so like to escape the box that they are unable to climb out of, after all better in their minds to be a sheep than become someone who others single out I suppose. Anyway enough of my rant today, I am off to continue a very special piece of work that captures a special friendship and takes a personal journey....Karma will be restored :)


My Daughter once shared a quote with me....'you laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same'. This has stayed with me....and makes me smile :)






No comments:

Post a Comment