Saturday 14 May 2011

Setting the Fairy free :)



So Saturday starts with a smile, the black cloud that hangs over me has lifted :) its so nice to see the world with open eyes and lots of colour! After a cuppa and a read of the papers in the comfort of a warm duvet breakfast was decided on.....Lightly boiled eggs with soldiers, for any of you who don't know they are not real soldiers, just sliced and buttered slices of toast, that you dip in the egg! A childhood memory indeed for many of us.
Breakfast was treated like a feast, with flowers on the table, napkins and as you can see an unexpected guest! The bear in the background is called Oddment, I knitted him at Christmas as a pressie for a family member, after opening he was sat on the chair and there he has stayed, watching all the family comings and goings. 
Our kitchen is the most important room in our house. My children have grown up eating countless meals sitting around our large table. Its a place for laughter, sometimes tears, a table to chat around and discuss current affairs. So many happy memories of Christmas's, Birthday parties, celebrations, entertaining friends, and of course its where my Nutty Knitters group knit, chat, drink tea, and eat cake every other Wednesday.
So back to breakfast....dipping all my toasted soldiers into the soft egg, and washing it all down with hot tea, the time had come to turn the egg upside down in the egg cup, crack a hole in the shell to let the fairy out! My mother used to say by letting the fairy have her freedom she would bring good luck and grant a wish! My family think I am bonkers to still be  cracking the empty shell at my age. And like one of my sons says, if the fairy is silly enough to live inside an egg then she deserves to stay in there, besides he adds,if I had of thought about it logically I must of killed her anyway during the boiling.....he has a point but I still continue to let her out anyway..just in case :)
Seems one wish was granted this morning.....having lost the dark cloud for a while I have been able to function a little better and creativity overflows...I am off to my studio now to draw and stitch....watch this space for a new creation :)


I still have one wish that I would so love to have granted, one that is in my heart and soul and been there for a very long time. So while I wait I will continue to eat eggs and let the fairy out......one day someday, who knows that is the future when it comes. xxx


Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.Henry David Thoreau

Legends and folklore about eggs.


When you have finished your boiled egg, crush the shell or push the spoon through the bottom to avoid bad luck. This stems from the belief that witches collect up the empty shells and use them to go to sea and work spells against hapless mariners. 


The giving of Easter eggs and the use of eggs in all sorts of other festivities, both 


Painting eggs red at Easter is seen as good luck, as it is the colour of blood and life.

German and Slav peasants rubbed a mixture of eggs, bread and flour on their plows hoping to improve the harvest. 


To ensure a big family, a 17th-century French bride would crack an egg on her new home's doorstep before entering.

In the 19th century, builders in Bombay, India, put an egg and milk into the foundations of new structures to protect them from harm. 


Even before Christian times people colored, blessed or exchanged eggs as part of the rites of spring to welcome the sun's awakening from its long winter sleep. Early Christians adopted the egg, which represented the renewal of life, as a symbol of Christ's resurrection from the grave.

Several folk tales explain the origin of dyeing Easter eggs. One legend from Poland recounts how the Virgin Mary herself painted boiled eggs in bright colors to please the infant Jesus.

Eastern Europeans may exchange eggs bearing the letters "XB" for :Christ is Risen". Russians exchange a decorated egg and three kisses.





No comments:

Post a Comment